This is a corner of my world where the hokey pokey really is what it's all about! So when life hits you all at once ~ just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ode to Lucy


Yesterday I had the unpleasant task to do for my Mama. Her canine companion for the past 5 years had to be put to sleep. Last week I wrote about taking all of the cats and dogs to the vet for Mama. Well I joked about them calling Lucy a geriatric dog. But what I didn't share is that she had a seizure a few weeks back and then last Friday she had another and this time she didn't come out of it for quite awhile. They kept her for a couple of days and put her on anti seizure meds. Well they thought she would be ok and sent her home. But she wasn't~at some point she must have had a stroke and it was pitiful~well being the 4th of July we couldn't do anything until Saturday so.....Mr. Honey and I went to take care of it for my Mama. She couldn't pull or lift the dog due to her physical health and she had watched her for the past few days. She knew that her companion was not living the quality of life that she had been. The Doctor knew more was going in when Jay and I took her in and knew although we were struggling with our decision ~ we had made the best one for the dog. My son and daughter took it hard. I had told them the day before so that they could begin the grieving process. My son wrote this poem for his Gah~Gah (my Mama) and I wanted to share it!


Ode to Lucy

Lucy was a treasure in our lives.
We owe her our full gratitude for all the things
she did for us.
We will forever miss her but know she is here with us.
She has been a friend to us all.
She was there for us and Gah~Gah.
Linus was her adopted child and she will
Miss her like a baby leaving its mom.
Lucy will not die but will forever live on in our
hearts.


4 comments:

Suburbia said...

Oh that's so sad. What a moving poem from your son, you must be very proud of him.
Best wishes to you all. Dogs are members of the family and the pain of losing them is very real.

Susan said...

Thank you Suburbia! I am quite proud of him! He is good at putting his thoughts into his poetry. You are so right that all pets no matter how big or small like Hamsters they do become a part of the family!

Nadine said...

I am so sorry for you guys. I know it was hard for you to do that for her. Tell Chris I said awesome job on the poem. Hugs.....

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, bless you all. What a lovely poem from your son - you have very talented and caring children. It's such a horrid time when we lose pets. It's nearly a year since we had to have our dog put to sleep. Horrible, horrible. I do understand.