This is a corner of my world where the hokey pokey really is what it's all about! So when life hits you all at once ~ just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Friday, April 25, 2008

Me

Have you ever thought about how much you like yourself? I know there are probably 101 things I would love to change about myself~starting with my waistline. But who am I and what made me ~ me? I had a loving Mom and Dad that were married until my father passed away. My mom is a recovering alcoholic with alot of anal retentive tendencies. I am so.....anal retentive. I am the middle child who wants to fix the world, curses like a sailor~or worse, teaches an inclusion kindergarten class, mother of two, wife of another middle child....but do I like who I am? Well because you are reading this post ~you have no idea how long I have paused before answering that question. LOL! It is true.. I did have to ponder it but....I do like myself. Nope, I am not 110% satisfied there are so many things I would change about me. I would be skinny and in shape and the best Mom, and Wife, and daughter that I could possible be. Not in that order but I do see alot of things I would change~but I look at ho much I have transformed throughout these 40 years. I have to say I turned out ok. I have always been a fighter ~even when I was in the 7th grade when I got detention for beating up 3 boys. Not lady like but they pissed me off! I remember when Mr. Honey and I broke the news to my Mom and Dad that we were going to get married and my Dad went through the roof that in 3-4 years when he didn't want me any more ~ he couldn't bring me back with my 4-5 kids and expect my Daddy to help me. I think what my Dad meant was~he wasn't ready for his first daughter to get married! I laughed my tail off! He called me the next day and told me he was sorry not for what he said but for HOW he said it. I have been married for 13 years and despite wanting to return me because I am a stubborn, hard headed, anal retentive, always want to be right kind of a person~he has kept me. I have grown up more in the last 13 years than I did in the first 27 years of my life. My Dad died less than a month after we got married ~ don't get me wrong that was hard losing my Dad who was my dearest friend~but it was then that I realized how lucky I am for having the life that I have had because it has made me into the person I am. So I have some issues I would like to change but that's ok I think there will always be room for change. I am not perfect at anything~but I am me and that is the only person I can be. So for those folks that have a problem with me~tough that is who I am and who I will always be. Like Flo on the 80's sitcom use to say if you don't like it "will you can kiss my grits!" So if you are a person like I used to be and worry about what people think of you~stop worrying about it! Just be you and remember that God don't make no junk! If you are a person who reads children's books than I recommend a book that John Lithgow wrote called "Marsupial Sue". In the book Marsupial Sue wants to be anything but a kangaroo. But she learns a very important lesson.

"Marisupial Sue.
A lesson or two:
Be happy with who you are.
Don't ever stray too far from you.
Get rid of that frown,
So waltz up and down
Beneath a marsupial star.
If you're a kangaroo through and through.
So do what kangaroos do."

You can't please all of the people all of the time but you do have to be and love you! Well that is my therapy today! No I am not always so....sappy. It is just where I am today!
Have a Great Today!

2 comments:

Suburbia said...

Hi Susan, nice to read you today!
Do you think it's an age thing? I am more content now, since turning40, than I ever was before. I am much more confident (unless confronted by one of those people that make you feel small no matter what!) Is it just what life does to us?!!
I like the poem, it's a good message.I'm glad you're happy to be you!

Liz Hinds said...

It's good to hear that you like yourself. AS suburbia says, I wonder if it's an age thing partly. I feel better about myself in these last years than I ever have done. I still have times when I hate or at least dislike myself, but they're not so frequent nowadays. Let's keep each other strong!